Who Killed Mr Punch?
All our activities are suitable to non-native English speakers of one ability level or another. Even those activities primarily targeted at UK students are suitable for proficient English as a Foreign Language (EFL) students, although in some cases they may be quite challenging!
We can, in many cases, offer a fully translated option for younger students or those with very limited English, without making the puzzles themselves too childlike. Please enquire if you believe your group requires this facility.
Our grading system for activities follows the Common European Framework for language teaching and examination. We've simplified the many possible levels by classifying our games as 'Advanced', Intermediate' and 'Elementary'; the following table illustrates the proficiency level expected from each of these classifications to help teachers and organisers choose the right game and level for their group.
C1 - Proficiency
C2 - Advanced
B2 - Upper Intermediate
B1 - Intermediate & pre-intermediate
A2 - Pre-intermediate & Elementary
A1 - Beginner
Buying is easy. You simply browse our website or download the brochure and then you order online.
To order online
- Find the game your students would enjoy most.
- Click on the Buy now button on the bottom of the page.
- Select how many packs you need and click on Add to cart
- Receive your games in the post
We recommend you order at least two months before the date of the activity. We will usually despatch your packs six weeks before the booked date to give your teachers enough time to prepare the students for the activity.
If you prefer to contact us before you buy, please just email or call us. We will be happy to help you select the best game for your students.
You can pay with PayPal online (including card payments) or we can invoice you for advance payment by credit card or bank transfer. Contact us to find out how to set up your account.
Please note, payment is always required in advance of despatch. Full terms and conditions of purchase are here.
A ready-to-play murder mystery puzzle game in Covent Garden, London
The story so far...
London's Metropolitan Police have reported the suspicious death of a local puppetmaster, known to many as 'Mr Teddy Punch'. Mr Punch was a jolly old gentleman whose puppet shows were much loved by families visiting London's markets and fairs.
At the scene of the crime were several items of interest to the police which might help establish how he died. This included a map with twenty locations marked on it...
Can YOU solve the mystery?
Location: Covent Garden and Seven Dials, London
Time required: 1 to 3 hours (variable)
How it works: After a briefing on the crime, teams study a map and disperse to solve the crime, learning
- who committed the crime
- the method of death
- the time of death
- the motive for murder ...
Can they piece all the facts together?
Want us to run it for you? Self-run or hosted versions available. For overseas groups we offer a meet-and-greet service in native language (please add to cart separately).
Timescales and Booking: please allow 2 weeks minimum notice for self-run game packs. For hosted bookings, 4 to 6 weeks minimum are preferred. We will get in touch with you to make arrangements. Hosted bookings are not binding until our booking contract has been exchanged.
This game is available in 6-team Function Packs or school packs (see separate tab).
What's in a Function Pack? (for parties and team events)
- Up to 6 x team packs including clues, maps, instructions, tasks and challenges
- 1 x organiser's pack including answers and scoresheet
- All game materials
- Facilitation on the day including
- Briefing and scene-setting
- Scoring and debrief at the end
- Token prizes
Who Killed Mr Punch? is suitable for school trips and students learning English as a Foreign Language
Core pack for schools
- Clue booklet in English or English+other language
Schools packs are available in 10-team, 25-student or 50-student sizes. 25- and 50-Student packs include one copy of the materials PER STUDENT, plus one set of organiser's instructions and answers, plus a copy of the activity materials per accompanying adult. We can supply a risk assessment to teachers in advance if required.
- Teacher's pack:
- One copy of materials plus organiser instructions, score sheet, suggested follow-on activities, optional risk assessment (in English).
- Other language variants available to those shown, please enquire.
- Language level: Intermediate A guide to English language levels used in Discovery Games
- Foreign language variants have clues in English, instructions in native language and a vocab sheet.
- Delivery overseas: Choose from standard untracked delivery (free) or premium (tracked) delivery. We aim to dispatch the packs six weeks prior to the booked date to give teachers time to prepare.
A meet and greet service for schools is also available for £120 (in English) or £150 (other language). Please add this to the cart separately.
Timescales and Booking:
- You will be asked to specify the date of your activity, if known, at checkout.
- Please allow 2 weeks minimum notice for delivery of self-run game packs.
- For hosted bookings, 4 to 6 weeks minimum are preferred. We will get in touch with you to make arrangements.
- Hosted bookings are not binding until our booking contract has been exchanged.
- It may be possible to supply packs at shorter notice, please contact us at email@example.com to enquire.
Choose from standard untracked delivery (free) or premium (tracked) delivery. We aim to dispatch the packs six weeks prior to the booked date to give teachers time to prepare.