Curiouser and Curiouser! An Alice Adventure in Oxford
All our activities are suitable to non-native English speakers of one ability level or another. Even those activities primarily targeted at UK students are suitable for proficient English as a Foreign Language (EFL) students, although in some cases they may be quite challenging!
We can, in many cases, offer a fully translated option for younger students or those with very limited English, without making the puzzles themselves too childlike. Please enquire if you believe your group requires this facility.
Our grading system for activities follows the Common European Framework for language teaching and examination. We've simplified the many possible levels by classifying our games as 'Advanced', Intermediate' and 'Elementary'; the following table illustrates the proficiency level expected from each of these classifications to help teachers and organisers choose the right game and level for their group.
C1 - Proficiency
C2 - Advanced
B2 - Upper Intermediate
B1 - Intermediate & pre-intermediate
A2 - Pre-intermediate & Elementary
A1 - Beginner
Buying is easy. You simply browse our website or download the brochure and then you order online.
To order online
- Find the game your students would enjoy most.
- Click on the Buy now button on the bottom of the page.
- Select how many packs you need and click on Add to cart
- Receive your games in the post
We recommend you order at least two months before the date of the activity. We will usually despatch your packs six weeks before the booked date to give your teachers enough time to prepare the students for the activity.
If you prefer to contact us before you buy, please just email or call us. We will be happy to help you select the best game for your students.
You can pay with PayPal online (including card payments) or we can invoice you for advance payment by credit card or bank transfer. Contact us to find out how to set up your account.
Please note, payment is always required in advance of despatch. Full terms and conditions of purchase are here.
Explore beautiful Oxford in teams!
Workmen at Christ Church College, Oxford, have discovered a secret cavity in the wall of a room once occupied by Lewis Carroll – author of the famous literary classics Alice in Wonderland and Alice through the Looking Glass.
Three objects were found in the cavity: a metal strong box; a collection of enigmatic clues and directions; and a letter claiming that the box contains the original manuscript of Alice in Wonderland.
Does the metal box really contain the manuscript? Will the trail of clues reveal the secret code required to open the box? Work as a team to solve the mystery and win the challenge!
A Trails of Discovery ProductHow it works:
This is an activity for groups of up to 50 students, working in teams. Great for UK school trips or visiting students. Teams work separately to follow a series of clues around Oxford City, so this activity may be best suited to older students who are able to work under minimal supervision. Also suitable for supervised groups with accompanying adults from age 12/13.
- No map required – follow simple directions to locate 20 clues in Oxford City
- Solve the clues to find the secret code required to solve the mystery
- Explore the City of Dreaming Spires
This is a ready-to-play packaged game so cannot be personalised.
Duration: The entire activity lasts around 2 to 3 hours.
Start and Finish: At Christ Church College on St Aldates.
Organiser's instructions available in a choice of native languages and include maps, answers, timings and optional health and safety risk assessment.
Suitable for: ages 12 to 15 with adults, or for ages 15 and above in teams.
Timescales and Booking: UK customers please allow 2 weeks minimum notice for self-run game packs. Overseas customers 8 weeks notice minimum preferred for bookings. We aim to despatch 6 weeks ahead of the trip to enable teachers to prepare vocabulary with students.
Curiouser and Curiouser is suitable for school trips and students learning English as a Foreign Language
Core pack for schools
- Clue booklet in English, instructions in a choice of languages
Schools packs are available in 10-team, 25-student or 50-student sizes. 25- and 50-Student packs include one copy of the main booklet PER STUDENT, together with one set of organiser's instructions and answers, plus a copy of the activity materials per accompanying adult. For 25- and 50-student packs, a 10-student extension pack is available (add to cart separately). We can supply a risk assessment to teachers in advance if required.
- Teacher's pack:
- One copy of materials plus organiser instructions in a language of your choice, score sheet, optional risk assessment (in English).
- Other language variants are available to those shown, please enquire.
- Language level: Intermediate A guide to English language levels used in Discovery Games
- Foreign language variants have clues in English and a vocab list or glossary.
- Delivery overseas: Choose from standard untracked delivery (free) or premium (tracked) delivery. We aim to dispatch the packs six weeks prior to the booked date to give teachers time to prepare.
A meet and greet service for schools is also available for £120 (in English) or £150 (other language). Please add this to the cart separately.
For 25- and 50-student packs, a 10-student extension pack is available at £96 (add to cart separately).
Timescales and Booking:
- You will be asked to specify the date of your activity, if known, at checkout.
- Please allow 2 weeks minimum notice for delivery of self-run game packs.
- For hosted bookings, 4 to 6 weeks minimum are preferred. We will get in touch with you to make arrangements.
- Hosted bookings are not binding until our booking contract has been exchanged.
- It may be possible to supply packs at shorter notice, please contact us at email@example.com to enquire.
Choose from standard untracked delivery (free) or premium (tracked) delivery. We aim to dispatch the packs six weeks prior to the booked date to give teachers time to prepare.