Death at the Dickensian Ball
Explore historic Rochester in teams!
The story so far...
It’s festival time in Rochester and The Dickensian Ball is being held in the Corn Exchange. As usual, everyone is talking about who might be going to the ball, who they will be going with, and who will be wearing the most spectacular gown. With only two hours before the orchestra starts playing, the bassoonist, Mr Beadle, has been found on the floor in the dressing room, lying in a pool of blood. The dagger in his back proves it is murder but who could have committed such a crime? The Police have discovered some strange notes and photographs in his pocket, which appear to be clues.
Can you help discover who has killed him?
This clue-hunt and puzzle activity works as a team event, party game or for school trips and student visits.How it works: This is a team activity for groups of up to 50 split into subgroups. The activity has several components:
- A 2-mile walking trail around Rochester looking for clues
- Extra games and challenges to earn points along the route
- A route which passes through local parks and by fascinating historic buildings
- Encourages students to ask for help and study information boards
- Brings a real-world perspective to Dickens' literature
This is a ready-to-play packaged game so cannot be personalised.
It can be adapted to take as a little as one hour by allowing each group to explore one section only, or planned as a half or full-day outing combined with other activities in Rochester or Chatham.
Starts and finishes at The Rochester Visitor Information Centre on the High Street.
Organiser's instructions available in a choice of native languages and include maps, answers, timings and optional health and safety risk assessment.
Suitable for: ages 8 to 12 working closely with adults, or for ages 12 to 15 in teams. Can also be used as a game for adults.
Want us to run it for you? A hosted version is available for team-building or parties and we offer a meet-and-greet service for schools (may be in native language for overseas students). Please add this to cart separately.
Timescales and Booking: UK customers please allow 2 weeks minimum notice for self-run game packs. Overseas customers 8 weeks notice minimum preferred for bookings. We aim to despatch 6 weeks ahead of the trip to enable teachers to prepare vocabulary with students.
For party and company teambuilding events, choose the 6-team Function Pack. This version includes team booklets, maps and additional tasks for a game in which the winning team is the one with the most points.
Death at the Dickensian Ball is suitable for school trips and students learning English as a Foreign Language
Core pack for schools
- Clue booklet and map in English
Schools packs are available in 10-team, 25-student or 50-student sizes. 25- and 50-Student packs include one copy of the main booklet PER STUDENT, together with one set of organiser's instructions and answers, plus a copy of the activity materials per accompanying adult. For 25- and 50-student packs, a 10-student extension pack is available (add to cart separately). We can supply a risk assessment to teachers in advance if required.
- Teacher's pack:
- One copy of materials plus organiser instructions in a language of your choice, score sheet, optional risk assessment (in English).
- Other language variants are available to those shown, please enquire.
- Language level: Intermediate A guide to English language levels used in Discovery Games
- Foreign language variants have clues in English and a vocab list or glossary.
- Delivery overseas: Choose from standard untracked delivery (free) or premium (tracked) delivery. We aim to dispatch the packs six weeks prior to the booked date to give teachers time to prepare.
A meet and greet service for schools is also available for £120 (in English) or £150 (other language). Please add this to the cart separately.
For 25- and 50-student packs, a 10-student extension pack is available at £96 (add to cart separately).
Timescales and Booking:
- You will be asked to specify the date of your activity, if known, at checkout.
- Please allow 2 weeks minimum notice for delivery of self-run game packs.
- For hosted bookings, 4 to 6 weeks minimum are preferred. We will get in touch with you to make arrangements.
- Hosted bookings are not binding until our booking contract has been exchanged.
- It may be possible to supply packs at shorter notice, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
Choose from standard untracked delivery (free) or premium (tracked) delivery. We aim to dispatch the packs six weeks prior to the booked date to give teachers time to prepare.