The Canterbury Trails
All our activities are suitable to non-native English speakers of one ability level or another. Even those activities primarily targeted at UK students are suitable for proficient English as a Foreign Language (EFL) students, although in some cases they may be quite challenging!
We can, in many cases, offer a fully translated option for younger students or those with very limited English, without making the puzzles themselves too childlike. Please enquire if you believe your group requires this facility.
Our grading system for activities follows the Common European Framework for language teaching and examination. We've simplified the many possible levels by classifying our games as 'Advanced', Intermediate' and 'Elementary'; the following table illustrates the proficiency level expected from each of these classifications to help teachers and organisers choose the right game and level for their group.
C1 - Proficiency
C2 - Advanced
B2 - Upper Intermediate
B1 - Intermediate & pre-intermediate
A2 - Pre-intermediate & Elementary
A1 - Beginner
Buying is easy. You simply browse our website or download the brochure and then you order online.
To order online
- Find the game your students would enjoy most.
- Click on the Buy now button on the bottom of the page.
- Select how many packs you need and click on Add to cart
- Receive your games in the post
We recommend you order at least two months before the date of the activity. We will usually despatch your packs six weeks before the booked date to give your teachers enough time to prepare the students for the activity.
If you prefer to contact us before you buy, please just email or call us. We will be happy to help you select the best game for your students.
You can pay with PayPal online (including card payments) or we can invoice you for advance payment by credit card or bank transfer. Contact us to find out how to set up your account.
Please note, payment is always required in advance of despatch. Full terms and conditions of purchase are here.
Explore historic Canterbury in teams!
The story so far...
The Knight, The Squire, The Miller and The Merchant have set puzzle trails around Canterbury. Your groups follow the directions, solve clues and complete the activities as they explore, competing to score points.
How it works: This is a team activity for groups up to 50, working in four separate groups. The activity has several components:
- A 3-mile walking trail around Canterbury looking for clues in 4 zones
- Extra games and challenges to earn points along the route
- Visits to beautiful parks and passing by fascinating old buildings
- Includes interesting cultural and historical facts about Canterbury
Duration: The entire activity lasts around 3 to 4 hours. It can be adapted to take as a little as one hour by allowing each group to explore one zone only, or planned as a half or full-day outing combined with other activities in Canterbury.
Starts and finishes at The Canterbury Heritage Museum, Stour Street
Organiser's instructions available in a choice of native languages and include maps, answers, timings and optional health and safety risk assessment.
Suitable for: ages 12 to 18 in teams. Can also be enjoyed by adults. Choose the 6-team Function Pack for work events or parties.
Want us to run it for you? A hosted version is available for team-building or parties and we offer a meet-and-greet service for schools (may be in native language for overseas students). Please add this to the cart separately.
Timescales and Booking: UK customers please allow 2 weeks minimum notice for self-run game packs. Overseas customers 8 weeks notice minimum preferred for bookings. We aim to despatch 6 weeks ahead of the trip to enable teachers to prepare vocabulary with students.
For party and company teambuilding events, choose the 6-team Function Pack. This version includes team booklets, maps and additional tasks for a game in which the winning team is the fastest to complete all the tasks.
The Canterbury Trails is suitable for school trips and students learning English as a Foreign Language
Core pack for schools
- Clue booklet and map in English, or
- Clue booklet in French/English, German/English, Spanish/English and map in English
Schools packs are available in 10-team, 25-student or 50-student sizes. 25- and 50-Student packs include one copy of the main booklet PER STUDENT, together with one set of organiser's instructions and answers, plus a copy of the activity materials per accompanying adult. For 25- and 50-student packs, a 10-student extension pack is available (add to cart separately). We can supply a risk assessment (in English) to teachers in advance if required.
- Teacher's pack:
- One copy of materials plus organiser's instructions in a language of your choice, score sheet, optional risk assessment (in English).
- Other language variants are available to those shown, please enquire.
- Language level: Intermediate A guide to English language levels used in Discovery Games
- Foreign language variants have clues in English and a vocab list or glossary.
- Delivery overseas: Choose from standard untracked delivery (free) or premium (tracked) delivery. We aim to dispatch the packs six weeks prior to the booked date to give teachers time to prepare.
A meet and greet service for schools is also available for £120 (in English) or £150 (other language). Please add this to the cart separately.
For 25- and 50-student packs, a 10-student extension pack is available at £96 (add to cart separately).
Timescales and Booking:
- You will be asked to specify the date of your activity, if known, at checkout.
- Please allow 2 weeks minimum notice for delivery of self-run game packs.
- For hosted bookings, 4 to 6 weeks minimum are preferred. We will get in touch with you to make arrangements.
- Hosted bookings are not binding until our booking contract has been exchanged.
- It may be possible to supply packs at shorter notice, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
Choose from standard untracked delivery (free) or premium (tracked) delivery. We aim to dispatch the packs six weeks prior to the booked date to give teachers time to prepare.